Even though watching movies can be done on so many different devices - TVs, laptops, PC, and even tablets, there are people who want to play movies using their phones. If you’re one of them, it’s completely fine - so are we. We will provide you with a list of the best apps to watch your favorite shows, and Netflix is not one of them!
Which apps can I use for streaming movies and TV shows?
- Pluto TV - this app can be used both on TVs as well as smartphones. It has a wide range of movies and shows you can stream. Pluto also has live TV, so you can watch some of the live movies streaming at the moment. You can choose from several genres, and you can also hide some of the channels you don’t like. The app is available for both iOS and Android.
- Vudu - The app offers both paid and free services. The biggest difference between the two is that you won’t be getting ads while watching movies. However, if you don’t mind the occasional ad while watching something, you can choose movies and shows from the hundreds of choices you’ll have listed.
- Redbox - Redbox works similarly to Vudu, you can choose movies to watch from the library, however, ads will be playing from time to time. There are some movies that are free, however, and they’re divided into a special section you can choose from.
- Popcornflix - this is also a free app, offering both movies and TV shows. You can choose from a wide range of movies, shows, and the app is available for iOS, Android, iPad, Roku, and Apple TV.
- Yidio - a free app, one of the best features being that you can filter through their library based on IMDB ratings, genre, or hiding the TV series and movies you’ve seen. You can get this app on both iOS and Android, as well as on Amazon Kindle.
- Filmrise - this is another free app, also offering a broad specter of movies and shows to stream. You can filter through their library, just like in the other apps we mentioned, and you can also add titles to the watchlist - even though the app doesn’t require you to create an account, which is a huge advantage!
- Tubi - the app has over 30,000 movies and shows you can choose from. The mobile app is really easy to use, so you can download it and start scrolling through their library to see what works for you.
- The Roku Channel - this app doesn’t require you to have an account either, and you can also watch live TV besides the other free movies and shows they have on their platform. Their genres are pretty broad, so you can choose from a lot of movies. The app is available for iOS, as well as for Android devices. Another thing - having this app on your phone, means that you can use it as a remote when watching TV from your Roku device. The app has a Kids section, where the content is limited if you want to play something for younger audiences.
- Kanopy - Kanopy looks quite similar to Netflix, it’s extremely easy to use, and they have thousands of movies and shows to choose from. This app also has a Kids section, with selected movies, cartoons, and shows. You will need a card to be able to start watching, so it’s not completely free as the previous ones we mentioned.
- YouTube Movies - there are hundreds of movies available on YouTube, which you can buy or rent. Just open your YouTube app, search for the title of the movie, and it will probably pop up, along with the price of the movie.
- Google Play Movies & TV - you can also buy or rent movies from Google Play. Since Google Play is available for both Android and iOS, you can find the app on either of these devices. The app isn’t as well-tailored as Netflix, but the streaming service is truly unproblematic and you can watch whatever you want!
If you love watching movies and shows on streaming platforms, but don't like to watch on a TV, check out how to use Netflix without a smart TV.
Also, explore how to delete a Wattpad Account.